WHY ARE PLASTIC STRAWS A PROBLEM ?
Used once for about 20 seconds, each plastic straw will be around in the ground or in the sea for over 100 years – all for the sake of a few sips. They are one of the top ten items picked up on beaches around the world
They don’t biodegrade, so can cause big problem to all sorts of animals that try to eat them or get caught up in them; they leach toxic chemicals into the ground, and if they are incinerated they release harmful toxins polluting the air. They are on the main ‘single use plastics’ offenders
WHAT ALTERNATIVES ARE THERE TO PLASTIC STRAWS?
There are many reusable straws on the market- cardboard, bamboo, glass and stainless steel, all of which you can be carried with you, washed and reused. Please do not buy corns strach/PLA/Vegware alternatives!
WHAT IS A 'SINGLE-USE PLASTIC'?
Single use is just that. It’s just used once. It means it’s “disposable”. Disposable plastic is used only once often for as little as 20 minutes before being thrown away. Items include such items as straws, takeaway coffee cups, cotton buds, plastic bags, plastic water bottles and most food packaging. We need to break this plastic habit
WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT THE WORLD'S OCEANS?
Oceans are the largest ecosystems on earth, the Earth’s support system. They generate half the oxygen you breathe. More than 97% of the Earth’s water resides in Oceans. Oceans provide 1/6 of the animal protein people eat. They are the source of many new medicines to combat disease. Living oceans absorb harmful CO2 from the atmosphere and reduce the impact of climate change.
WHAT ARE THE BUSINESS ADVANTAGES OF NOT USING PLASTIC STRAWS?
The business case for using less plastic is not just environmental.
There are compelling financial benefits too, including:
– cost savings: Reducing the amount of waste your business produces will always save money and one business we know saved £100s a year by not giving out unnecessary straws anymore!
– efficiency improvements – its quicker not to have to put straw in every drink!
– enhanced brand reputation – customers are on the look out for ethical brands
– recognition by sustainable bodies, such as Green Tourism Awards
– more engaged employees
– increased sales from eco-friendly customers
– AND the opportunity to shout about the positive changes you’ve made